Board of Directors
The Board of Directors
The Board of Directors meet on a regular basis in order to develop policies, approve the budget and assist in making major governance decisions regarding the school operations. The Board of Directors is the decision making body for AeroSTEM Academy. The Board is comprised of community members and parent members. All meetings are open to the public.
Board of Directors:
- James Kevin Bonner - Board President
- Dallan Reese - Board Secretary
- Tera Heacock - Board Treasurer
- Rikki Shafer - Board Member
- Chuck Ferguson - Board Member
Board Member Biographies:
James Kevin Bonner
- President, Board of Directors, 2019
- Mr. Bonner served as a U.S. Marine and performed duties as a RADAR air traffic controller and a RADAR air traffic control instructor. Mr. Bonner, also served as a U.S. Marine Corps unmanned aircraft operator for the Pioneer RPV and the Dragon Drones UAS. Mr. Bonner’s last assignment in the U.S. Marine Corps was with Marine Aviation Weapons and Tactics Squadron 1, MCAS Yuma, Arizona, as the UAS Division Head. In addition to his role as Board President for AeroSTEM Academy, Mr. Bonner serves on the Board of Directors for NCAI. Mr. Bonner coaches Special Olympics athletes in basketball, softball, and soccer, and also performs at the California Academy of Sciences as a SCUBA diver for the Scripps Aquarium in Golden Gate Park, San Francisco. Mr. Bonner has received a Master of Science in Aeronautics from Embry – Riddle Aeronautical University, Worldwide.
- Secretary, Board of Directors, 2019
- Mr. Reese is a pilot for Southwest Airlines and retired US Air Force officer. He is an airplane flight instructor, commercial glider pilot, and a member of the board of directors for NCAI. Mr. Reese studied Aerospace Engineering at the University of Texas and earned a Master’s degree from the USAF Air Command and Staff College. He is married to Charlotte Reese, a private pilot.
- Treasurer, Board of Directors, 2019
- Mrs. Heacock is a mother of four. The family has resided in Yuba City since 2004. Currently her son attends AeroSTEM Academy. In 2017 her daughter graduated from the STEM program and is currently pursuing the CTE Aerospace Pathway through CORE Charter School. She and her husband have seen firsthand the unique and effective opportunities the program affords children interested in STEM. Through the hands-on projects, field trips, and encouragement from staff, children learn that they are capable of more than they ever expected. Because of the program’s dedication to the children, confidence is a natural benefit to their growth.
- Member, Board of Directors, 2019
- Ms. Shaffer served as CEO for the Yuba Sutter Chamber of Commerce from January 2014 to December 2017. She currently serves the Chamber as a consultant specifically through the BizWorks project, a collaborative, entrepreneurial effort. Under her leadership membership grew significantly, and needed improvements were realized. Ms. Shaffer’s passion for innovation keeps her busy developing plans and launching programs throughout the Yuba-Sutter and greater Sacramento regions.
- Member, Board of Directors, 2019
- Mr. Ferguson earned his Associate's of Science Degree from Sierra College in Rocklin and is currently pursuing a Bachelor's Degree from Messenger College in Texas. He is the Business and Program director for Hacker Lab, a co-working place in which people with shared interests, especially in entrepreneurship, technology, or art, can gather to work on projects while sharing ideas, equipment and knowledge. Mr. Ferguson also owns Sutter Networks, an information system service provider that offers specialized technology solutions for small to medium sized business. In addition, Mr. Ferguson serves as a volunteer for Operation Innovative, a California nonprofit public benefit corporation, which helps educate and enrich the lives of minority, low income and at-risk youth, between the ages of 12 and 21 and hosts events such as hackathons and coding workshops in urban neighborhoods.