School Leadership Team
Utilizing the expertise of our leadership group and the input of our excellent teaching staff, we have laid out our unique educational approach that will be available to students attending AeroSTEM Academy.
- Chris Mahurin - Executive Director
- Kathy Smith - School Director
- Angela Choate - Operations Director
- Marla Landon - Special Education
- Pat Horton - Business Director
- Executive Director
- Has worked in education for over 16 years as a Group Home tutor, classroom teacher, alternative program developer, Personalized Learning Teacher, and administrator. Chris Mahurin graduated with Highest Honors from the University of California, Santa Barbara with a double major in Philosophy and Religious Studies. He has received his Single Subject Teaching Credential in Social Science and holds a Full Administrative Credential. Chris continues to advocate for alternative education with every opportunity.
- School Director
- Has worked in education for over 20 years as a Foster Parent and Group Home Manager, Special Education and General Education Teacher, and Science Based Charter School Director and Program Developer. Kathy graduated from the California State University, Chico with a double Master's degree in Educational Leadership and Curriculum and Instruction. She holds credentials in Administration, Special Education, and Multiple Subjects. Kathy has a passion for learning through science and hands on projects and believes charter schools offer student a unique setting in which to excel.
- Operations Director
Has served the school program in a variety of ways since its inception as well as homeschooled her own children through its program. She oversees classified staff through daily operations, manages the school and State mandated policies and programs.
- Special Education
Oversees the Special Education program. Having spent several years as a general educator teacher, Marla relates well to students and their parents and knows how to plan suitable programs to meet individual needs. She serves a caseload of special education students, regularly consults with general education teachers and RSP providers, coordinates student services, facilitates all IEP meetings, and strives to stay current with Special Education law and best practices.
- Business Director
Has been a member of leadership team since August 2002. She provides the link between the day-to-day business operations and the budget planning with the financial oversight at the county level. Ms. Horton has been involved in office management for 25 years and brings experience from the California school system having worked for other districts and charter schools. She is responsible for all purchasing duties, bookkeeping, record keeping, management of student budgets, and accounts payable through the county software system.